Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Chi shuts Tibet border, Mansarovar pilgrimage hit

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  2 Jun 2015 12:00 AM GMT

Kathmandu, June 1: Over 25,000 foreign tourists planning to visit Kailash Mansarovar through Nepal were forced to change their itinerary after the Chinese government shut down all border points in Tibet citing the recent earthquakes in the Himalayan tion, media reported on Monday. Reports in the media here said the Nepali tourism and civil aviation ministry has asked the foreign ministry to raise the issue with the Chinese side. However, the Chinese side has not made any comment over the shutdown. These 25,000 foreigners booked their tours for Kailash Mansarovar through 38 tour and travel companies in Nepal. No tourist has, however, cancelled bookings so far, the Karobar tiol daily on Monday cited Kailash Tour Association chief Prakash Shrestha as saying. Tourism entrepreneurs have demanded that the tour should be allowed even by opening the Hilsa point in Humla district. Shrestha says taking 25,000 foreigners to Kailash Mansarovar through Nepal will be a huge relief at a time when the tourism sector has been hard-hit by the recent earthquake. The entrepreneurs have informed the culture, tourism and civil aviation ministries in this regard but there has been no breakthrough so far. (IANS)

Next Story