From A Correspondent
Shillong, Aug 14: Meghalaya Governor Banwarilal Purohit has announced an amount of Rs 1 lakh each to the next of kin of those who were crushed to death under a tree near the Raj Bhavan on Saturday afternoon. Purohit had already handed over Rs 50,000 each to the family of the three victims on Sunday, while the remaining amount will be handed over later, sources said. “Since the tree which crashed on the victims belonged to the Raj Bhavan, the Governor thought that certain amount of fincial assistance to the families from his office was necessary,” sources in the Raj Bhavan said. Meanwhile, the district administration will also provide reimbursement to the two injured women for their treatment. Earlier on Sunday, the district administration had announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs 4 lakh to each of the kin of the three deceased.