For years, the Union government has been pussyfooting on amendments required to make the divorce laws for Muslims look like what could be deemed sensible for a secular country. republic. At long last, we have something that looks like an apology for sensible amendments. What the rulers of India keep forgetting is that we have a Constitution that makes it obligatory for us to have the same norms for all citizens as far as major human issues are concerned. So, instead of having one law that takes care of issues like divorce we have amendments that merely serve to find tacit excuses for not having the courage to have one law for the same offence. We are all busy looking for escape routes. The Union government has merely cleared three changes to the talaq Bill. One amendment relates to who can file a complaint against a man exercising the talaq-e-biddat (instant triple talaq). According to Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, an FIR against such a person becomes cognizable only when it is filed by the victim or anyone having blood relation or relationship by marriage. Another amendment allows a magistrate to grant bail after hearing the wife. The third change makes the talaq-e-biddat a compoundable offence. If the wife and the husband agree to settle their differences, the magistrate can compound the offence on appropriate terms and conditions. It is time we worked towards common laws for all.
You may also like
About the author
- Charaideo Girl manages to escape from Arunachal Pradesh after alleged physical torture
- See Pictures: BSF actively participated in a “Swachh Bharat Abhiyan” in Tripura
- Kaziranga National Park: Carcass of Male Rhino recovered with horn missing
- Businessman abducted from Bokajan in Karbi Anglong, Rs 1 crore Ransom demanded
- JOBS RECRUITMENT TN LABOUR DEPARTMENT FOR OFFICE ASSISTANT POSTS
- She is just a 2 hours old infant and holds all her official government documents!
- SPSC Jobs 2018 For Specialist Vacancy for MBBS, MS/MD
- SPSC Jobs 2018 For Dental Surgeon Vacancy for BDS
- Deciphering State Elections
- 5 Best Dressed Celebs of The Week That Impressed Us With Their Fashion Sense