News

FBI rejects request to knock down Trump–Russia stories

Washington, Feb 24: The FBI rejected a White House request to knock down
media reports about communications between President Dold Trump’s
associates and Russian officials during the 2016 presidential campaign,
law enforcement officials told CNN. White House officials had sought the
help of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and other agencies to say
that the reports were wrong and that there had been no contacts, the
officials said. The reports of the contacts were first published by the
New York Times and CNN on February 14. The direct communications between
the White House and the FBI were unusual because of decade–old
restrictions on such contacts. Such a request from the White House is a
violation of procedures that limit communications with the FBI on
pending investigations. Late Thursday night, White House Press Secretary
Sean Spicer objected to CNN’s characterisation of the White House
request to the FBI. “We didn’t try to knock the story down. We asked
them to tell the truth,” Spicer said.  (IANS)