PARIS, May 9: Andy Murray has lost the world number two spot to Roger Federer in the latest ATP rankings released on Monday, after his defeat to Novak Djokovic in the Madrid Masters fil.
The Scot played well in Spain, but by failing to successfully defend his title, he drops below Federer ahead of the Italian Open this week.
Djokovic, an 11-time major champion, retains his massive lead on his closest challengers at the top of the rankings after claiming a record 29th Masters title.
Australian youngster Nick Kyrgios moves back into the top 20 thanks to his run to the quarter-fils in Madrid.
ATP top 10:
1. Novak Djokovic (SRB) 16,550 pts
2. Roger Federer (SUI) 7,525 (+1)
3. Andy Murray (GBR) 7,525 (-1)
4. Stan Wawrinka (SUI) 6,380
5. Rafael dal (ESP) 5,675
6. Kei Nishikori (JPN) 4,290
7. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) 3,400
8. Tomas Berdych (CZE) 2,940
9. David Ferrer (ESP) 2,920
10. Milos Raonic (CAN) 2,740. IANS