Zurich, Feb 4: Football’s governing body FIFA has rejected Bolivia’s appeal against a point deduction for fielding an ineligible player during World Cup qualifiers.
FIFA had said in November that Bolivia breached FIFA rules when Nelson Cabrera was introduced as a late substitute in their 2-0 victory over Peru in La Paz on September 1 and again in a 0-0 draw with Chile in Santiago five days later, reports Xinhua.
Cabrera, 33, had previously played for Paraguay, the country of his birth. FIFA awarded 3-0 wins for Peru and Chile and fined the Bolivian football association $12,000.
“The FIFA appeal committee has decided to reject the appeals lodged by the Bolivian Football Association (FBF) and to confirm in its entirety the decisions rendered by the FIFA Discipliry Committee,” FIFA said in a statement on Friday. Bolivia are currently ninth in the 10-team South American zone World Cup qualifying standings, with seven points from 12 matches. The top four teams at the end of the qualifying competition will secure a berth in the 2018 World Cup in Russia while the fifth-ranked side will book a playoff berth. IANS