Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Fisheries Minister igurates wholesale fish market building

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  30 April 2015 12:00 AM GMT

Our Correspondent

SILCHAR, April 29: Assam minister for fisheries Basanta Das iugurated a modern hygienic wholesale fish market building at New Market of Fatak Bazar worth approximately Rs.2.5 crore today. Out of the estimated expenditure, 90% of the amount has been funded by the tiol Fisheries Development Board (NFDB), Hyderabad, while the Silchar Municipal Board has contributed the remaining 10% amount for the construction. The building complex will cover a total area of 15391 sq. ft. comprising 47 wholesale stalls and 11 dry fish stalls.

The facilities which will be provided in the complex are sufficient trading space, running water with a deep tube-well, lights and fans, and proper sanitation facilities. The minister has requested the citizens and shop owners of the merchant association to maintain the newly made complex neat and clean. The function was presided over by Gokul Mohan Hazarika, Deputy Commissioner of Cachar. He said the project was completed in a priority basis for the people of Cachar. Amongst the members present were Ajit Singh, minister of Transport, Excise, Sports and Culture, Sushmita Dev, MP of Cachar, Ataur Rahman Mazarbhuiya, MLA of Katigorah, Gopal Chandra Bhowmik, DFDO, Cachar, and Ratul Mohanta, director, Department of Fisheries.

The project was initiated and completed during the tenure of Gopal Chandra Bhowmik. Such modern hygienic wholesale fish market building has been constructed for the first time in the Barak Valley. Ajit Singh said the project has become a reality due to the initiated taken by the MP Sushmita Dev. In the meeting Ratul Mohanta explained the motive behind the construction was to provide benefits of modern technologies to the fish traders. Sushmita Dev requested that retail fish market on the same lines of the wholesale fish market should be constructed soon.

Next Story