Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Five charred to death in Ziro blaze

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  23 Nov 2017 12:00 AM GMT

From our correspondent

Itagar, Nov 22: At least five people were charred to death after a fire broke out in a rent house at Kudung Barang colony at Ziro, under Lower Subansiri district of Aruchal Pradesh, on Tuesday evening.

According to an official report, the victims – four males and one female were tents in the 14-room barrack-style house, which has been reduced to ashes, rendering all the tents homeless. The fire has also reportedly caused huge loss of property of the families, which will soon be accessed by the administration.

Deputy Commissioner Kemo Lollen said that the Indian Air Force fire tenders stationed at the Advanced Landing Ground were pressed into service to douse out the ravaging fire. However, the fire could not be contained on time to save human lives.

Chief Minister Pema Khandu expressed grief over death of the persons. Khandu has directed the district administration to provide relief to those injured and ascertain the identities of the deceased. After identification of the deceased, he said that they may be provided ex-gratia as permitted under administrative rules.

“Loss of life in any circumstance is an irreparable loss. While expressing prayerful solidarity with the victims, let’s ensure that proper care is taken of the bereaved family members,” Khandu assured.

He also asked the department concerned to assess the loss of property and provide temporary shelter to those who have lost their dwellings.

“The fact that this incident follows another that occurred just a couple of days ago at Hari village on Sunday is quite alarming and calls for rigid precautiory measures on part of the people, especially during the winters. The administration, police or the government can only intervene in the aftermath. Preventing fire mishaps is utterly the sole responsibility of the dwellers,” Khandu pointed and appealed to strictly follow fire-safety measures and remain vigilant while burning lamps for light and fire for warmth and cooking.

Next Story