There is much constertion among music lovers and culturally aware citizens in the State about lewd audio and video cassettes being pushed into the market. There has always been a hush–hush demand for such filth, but a controversy that has erupted lately is over an Assamese audio album masquerading as a collection of Bihu–based songs. One song in particular with highly vulgar lyrics has raised a storm in social media and the press. Complaints have already been lodged against the two lead singers at police stations in Guwahati and Bongaigaon, though one wonders what, if any, action will be taken under which legal provisions. Though the lyrics of the song in question are repulsive, there have been earlier instances of grossly suggestive songs to which the authorities concerned never reacted with any degree of sternness and consistency. The absence or iction of regulatory authorities in various sectors in the State has long given shady agents a free run. This applies to the music industry as well, with fly–by–night operators eager to take any shortcuts to earn some money and cheap fame. Dismayed artistes, members of music and film fraternity and concerned citizens have strongly condemned such smutty products so toxic for young, impressioble minds. They have called for a censor board that can keep tabs over songs, a more active role by the Cultural Affairs department, and banning of singers, lyricists and others connected with bringing out offensively bawdy songs. Surely there is a need for watchdog bodies and pelties to deter obscenities, but the fil judges are consumers. As a people, we need to have a wide–ranging, continuous discourse on what constitutes quality. Once we recognize and value quality, none can make us go for products of shoddy workmanship and poor taste.
You may also like
About the author
- P.V. Sindhu defeats Ratchanok Intanon, Storms Into Final
- Assam shuttler Ashmita Chaliha Wins Title
- All Assam Junior Ranking Tennis From December 18
- 3 Brothers FC Win The Sevens Challenge Trophy Soccer
- Assam Weightlifter Rekhamoni Gogoi Wins Silver
- Hima Das Needs to Focus in Practice Only: Shiny Wilson
- Assam in Back Foot Against Team Services
- BJP To Form Cachar Zila Parishad
- Rotary Club of Green Land Silchar Distributes Baby Products
- What Led To The debacle of Congress in Hailakandi?