Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Hazare's security beefed up after another threat

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  22 Aug 2015 12:00 AM GMT

Ralegan-Siddhi (Maharashtra), August 21: The Maharashtra government on Friday further strengthened the security of social crusader An Hazare following a new death threat, officials said. An unfazed Hazare said he would continue with his work, was “not bothered and would not be cowed down by anybody”. The 78-year old leader presently has ‘Z’ category security, which has been further increased. But an official said it had not been upgraded to Z-plus cover. Minister of State for Home Ram Shinde said a security audit had been conducted and two additiol escorts provided to Hazare, while security at his office and home here has been increased.

“The government will ensure that he is safe and secure,” Shinde said. On his part, Hazare attempted to contact Chief Minister Devendra Fadvis after hearing of the enhanced security details provide to him. “I do not need so much security. This is not the first time I have got such threats. My work will continue till my last breath. If anybody gets satisfaction in elimiting me, they can go ahead,” Hazare said.

In recent past, he has received seven or eight threats and letters but he has ignored them and never let his work suffer, his aide said. In the last fortnight, he received a death threat letter whereas another similar letter was received this week. The government is particularly concerned over Hazare’s safety as ratiolist rendra Dabholkar was killed in Pune in 2013 and veteran Communist leader Govind Pansare was shot dead in Kolhapur six months ago. The killers of both have eluded the police dragnet. (IANS)

Next Story