Mosul, Iraq, Feb 24: Iraqi forces seized control of the airport in the northern city of Mosul from militants of the Islamic State terror organisation after hours of fighting, a senior police official said. Iraqi federal police chief Shaker Jawdat said that Iraqi troops had reached the gates of al-Ghazlani barracks, located near the strategic airport, EFe news reported. Jawdat pointed out that the runways, halls and facilities are already in the hands of government forces, noting that regular forces took control of Tel al-Rayan neighbourhood, one of the two districts attacked by troops on Thursday. Iraqi security forces launched a large-scale offensive on the western suburbs of Mosul. In addition to storming the airport, the army struck the nearby camp of al-Ghazlani, and the Tel al-Raman and al-Maamun neighbourhoods. (IANS)
You may also like
About the author
- South Africa Girls Taught well to Deal with Increasing Cases of Crimes against Women
- Bank Employee to go for Nationwide Strike on November 12
- OIL starts spudding of well in Kumchai area at Loc Kuar (Kumchai-15)
- Yellow Sweater And Blue Denim of Priyanka Chopra, A Very Far Fetched Dream!
- ‘100 Percent Organic State’ Sikkim Gets FAO Award For Best Policies
- Assam Chief Minister Welcomes the Court Martial of the Accused in Fake Encounter Case
- Tezpur University Jobs 2018 For Junior Research Fellow Vacancy for M.Sc, M.E/M.
- Ambedkar University Delhi Jobs 2018 for Research Assistant Vacancy for M.A
- PGIMER Jobs 2018 for Senior Research Fellow Vacancy for Any Post Graduate
- Mizoram CM Lal Thanhawla says Congress will return with more than 30 seats