Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Modern fish market iugurated in Mangaldai

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  25 Jan 2016 12:00 AM GMT

From our Correspondent

MANGALDAI, January 24: Minister for Fisheries and Water Resource Basanta Das on Sunday iugurated the state-of-the art retail-cum-wholesale fish market in Mangaldai which is claimed to be the second of its kind in Assam.

The market which reportedly consists of 84 well-equipped retail counters along with 10 other whole sale chambers connected to a scientific waste disposal facility that has been constructed at an estimated project cost of Rs 205.00 lakh. Hyderabad based tiol Fishery Board has funded 90 per cent of the total project cost while the remaining 10 per cent share has been borne by the State Government. In connection with the opening ceremony of the new fish market, a public meeting was held outside the market premise which was attended by about 200 local people and fish sellers.

Addressing the gathering, Minister Basanta Das said that construction of few such markets in various district headquarters of the State were still in progress and more such markets in different subdivisions including Barpeta , Gohpur, Titabor and Howly would come up soon as the government had already sanctioned these projects. Referring to the local fish production scerio in the State, the Minister said that the growing local fish production could be apprehended from the Bhogali Uruka fish market across the State where local fish was supplied in abundance. He further pointed out that at present the State recorded production of 2. 82 lakh metric ton local fish which was almost double compared to 1.61 lakh metric ton in 2001. Hence it had significantly contributed to the economy of the State.

Speaking on the occasion, Director of Fisheries Ratul Mahanta termed the fish market as the second largest market in the State while Deputy Commissioner of Darrang Manoj Kumar was hopeful that such modern infrastructure would definitely boost the potential fish farmers of the district with increasing demand.

The function was also attended by distinguished guests, including Additiol Deputy Commissioner Bidyut Bikash Bhagawati, chairman and executive officer of Mangaldai Municipality Board, Pratap Bordoloi and Rahul Das; and Circle Officer of Mangaldai Revenue Circle, Prashanta Borkakaoti.

Next Story