In the controlled trial, women who drank a further of 1.5 liters of water daily veteran 48% fewer repeat bladder infections than people who drank their usual volume of fluids, said senior author Dr. Yair Lotan, academic of medicine and with the Simmons Cancer Center at UT Southwestern. The participants self-reported their usual volume as less than 1.5 liters of fluid daily, that is regarding six 8-ounce glasses.
“That’s a major distinction,” said Dr. Lotan, Chief of Urologic medical specialty at UT Southwestern center. “These findings area unit vital as a result of over 1/2 all women report having bladder infections, that area unit one in every of the foremost common infections in girls.”
More than 1 / 4 of girls expertise a secondary infection at intervals six months of Associate in Nursing initial infection and 44 to 77 % can have a repeat at intervals a year, said Dr. Lotan, holder of the Helen of Troy J. and Robert S. Strauss place in medicine at UT Southwestern and Medical Director of the medicine Clinic at piece of ground Health & Hospital System.
Physicians suspect additional fluids facilitate to scale back bacterium and limit the flexibility of bacterium to connect to the bladder.
Symptoms for acute uncomplicated urinary tract infection, a sort of tract infection (UTI), embrace painful or issue in voiding, a sense of a full bladder, Associate in Nursing urgency or frequency of voiding, tenderness within the lower abdominal space, and presumably blood within the excreta.
Because these infections area unit usually treated with antibiotics, the redoubled fluid might facilitate scale back the utilization of antibiotics and thereby facilitate management antibiotic resistance, the researchers said.
The findings seem in JAMA medical specialty. Among the highlights over the 12-month study period:
1. 93 % of women within the Water cluster had 2 or fewer episodes of urinary tract infection compared with 88% of women within the management cluster who had 3 or additional episodes.
2. The number of urinary tracts infection episodes was regarding [*fr1] within the Water cluster compared with the management cluster.
3. Overall, there have been 327 urinary tract infection episodes: 111 within the Water cluster and 216 within the management cluster.
4. The calculable mean annual variety of antimicrobial regimens accustomed to treating urinary tract infection episodes was one.9 within the Water cluster compared with three.6 within the management cluster.
5. The mean variety of antimicrobial regimens accustomed to treating urinary tract infection episodes was 1.8 within the Water cluster compared with 3.5 within the management cluster.
6. The mean solar time interval between urinary tract infection events was 142.9 days within the Water cluster compared with eighty-five .2 days within the management cluster.
7. The median time to the primary urinary tract infection episode was 148 days within the Water cluster compared with ninety-three .5 days within the management cluster.
Dr. Lotan, a member of UT Southwestern’s Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, uses minimally invasive, robotic, and open surgical techniques to treat bladder, prostate, kidney, ureteral, and carcinoma. He’s across the nation recognized for his analysis on excreta markers in bladder cancer and molecular markers in alternative urologic cancers and was the primary in North Texas to perform a robotic cystectomy or removal of the bladder. UT Southwestern’s medicine Department developed the Snodgrass repair, a surgical treatment used around the world for abnormal condition, a congenital condition within which the gap of the canal develops abnormally; conducted the primary massive bladder cancer screening study within the U.S.; and was among the primary within the world to supply continent urinary diversion for bladder cancer patients.