From a Reporter
SHILLONG, Nov 17: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma on Friday reiterated that the State government has not changed its stand for cadres belonging to any militant outfit, but appealed them to come forward to join the mainstream.
Speaking to reporters, Sangma said: “The stand of the government has not changed. The government has come up with a strategy where we are providing an environment for the cadres to leave the proscribed outfits and take advantage of the government programmes that will eble them to assimilate with the mainstream and become productive citizens of the tion.”
He said many surrendered militants have taken advantage of the government programmes. Even the members of the GNLA, who had already given up arms, have taken advantage of the programmes initiated by the government, he added.
“For the greater interest of the people and the State as well as to restore peace, members of the banned militant outfits should leave their organisations and come over ground and take advantage of the government programmes and schemes,” he said.
Mentioning that the platform is available to any member of the banned outfits, he said, “We need to collectively discuss concerning the banned outfits with the Centre as the Central government is not in favour of any talks with any terrorist organisation or banned outfits.”
Sangma added, “But through this platform we feel that it will help our young friends to come and be part of the tiol mainstream once again.”