Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Pengeri lathi-charge: Victim's death accidental, says report

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  17 July 2015 12:00 AM GMT


DOOMDOOMA, July 16: Dibandhu Sharma who was brought dead on Wednesday around 8-10 pm to Doomdooma 30 Bedded FRU did not die due to Police action although it was believed to be so in view of lathi charge resorted by Police to disperse the unruly mob at Makum.

According to post mortem report his death was reportedly an “accidental death”.

When contacted Senior Medical & Health Officer DR R Das of Doomdooma 30 Bedded FRU told this correspondent that about four persons were brought yesterday “accidental case”. But when Dr Das found that the patient is already dead he could not trace the attendants for recording the detail report about the dead patients.

Later he was able to do that only from one of his relatives.

Its needs mention here that on hearing the death of Dibandhu Sharma yesterday evening the mob became furious and the Police had to resort to blank fire to disperse them.

The people of Kakapathar and Doomdooma first blocked Doomdooma bridge on NH-37 from 10.30 AM to 2-30PM. Later they moved to Makum to obstruct the movements of Rails as well as to block road. The body of Dibandhu Sharma was handed over by the administration to the family members at No. 10 Parbatipur, Phillobari Meanwhile the 12 hours bandh call given by Bhojpuri Yuba-Chatra Parishad came to an end without any untoward incidents reported from anywhere. It may be mentioned that suspected members of ULFA (I) killed a man and his daughter along with injuring three others in an attack specifically targeting Hindi-speaking people in Tinsukia district on Tuesday. Motorcycle-borne militants fired indiscrimitely at a family in Filobari- Bijuliban area under Pengery police station on Tuesday evening. A man—ndlal Shah and his daughter Kajal Shah were killed and three others of their family were seriously injured.

Soon after the incident, security forces launched an operation against militants in areas of Sivasagar district along the Assam-galand boundary. One ULFA (I) cadre was arrested from Balijan Grant area. Shah died instantly and four others were injured. His daughter, Kajal Shah, 14, succumbed to her injuries while being taken to Assam Medical College Hospital in Dibrugarh. Shah’s wife Manki Devi, son Manoj Shah and another relative are battling for life at the hospital.

The dead man owned a small shop while his brother had started a new business in the area. Shah’s brother recently received an extortion demand from ULFA-Independent but the family refused to pay up. The family did not inform police about the extortion demand, officials said. The All Assam Bhojpuri Yuva Chatra Parisad (AABYCP) called a shutdown in Tinsukia on Wednesday to protest against the attack. The bandh affected areas with large numbers of Hindi-speaking people. Thousands of people came out on the streets and demanded security. Protesters blocked tiol Highways 37 and 52 in the district.

Next Story