Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Pul's body taken to tive village in remote Anjaw

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  11 Aug 2016 12:00 AM GMT


Itagar, Aug 10: The mortal remains of former Aruchal Pradesh Chief Minister Kalikho Pul was taken today to his tive village Hawai in remote Anjaw district bordering Chi to perform the last rites.

The state government had requisitioned two sorties of Skyone helicopter to carry the body to Hayuliang along with the relatives of the departed leader.

BJP MLA from Tezu Dr Mahesh Chai accompanied the body of Pul along with his relatives in the first sortie while in the second sortie, 22 people would go at 2 PM, CMO sources informed.

A pall of gloom descends in the state capital since Tuesday morning after the news of Pul’s death broke out. Lok Sabha MP Ninong Ering, AICC secretary Dr Jay Kumar along with senior party leaders, MLAs and admirers of Pul gathered at the Raj Bhawan helipad here in the morning from where Pul’s mortal remains flown to his tive village.

As soon as the chopper took off at 7.30 AM, hundreds of supporters gave a tearful adieu to their beloved leader.

The state government has declared three days state mourning and declared a holiday tomorrow when the last rites of Pul would be performed with full state honours at Hayuliang, the constituency he represents.

Pul allegedly committed suicide at the chief minister official residence here on Tuesday, weeks after he was ordered by the Supreme Court to step down after a brief stint, sparking violent protests by his supporters.

The body of 47-year-old Pul, which was hanging from the ceiling fan of his exercise room, was first spotted by one of his three wives. Pul, a Congress rebel, was yet to vacate the official residence of the chief minister.

He is survived by three wives and seven children.

The untimely demise of Pul, who had served as the chief minister from February 19 till July 13 this year, shocked many and the state government announced a magisterial inquiry into the death.

As news of the death of Pul spread, scores of his supporters and well-wishers gheraoed the CM residence at Niti Vihar and demanded a probe into the ‘untural’ death. They also demanded resigtion of Khandu and all the ministers terming the incident as ‘political murder’.

The coffin, which was brought from outside, was damaged and set on fire by the crowd before the assembled media.

A section of the mob went on rampage and damaged the official residences of Deputy Chief Minister Chow Mein and Industry Minister Tapang Taloh besides setting fire on the under construction private residence of Mein.

The irate mob also damaged several vehicles and resorted to stone pelting demanding entry of media persons who were barred from entering the chief minister’s bungalow since morning. Several protestors also sustained injuries during the stone pelting.

Next Story