Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Sammy disappointed by contract snub, but committed to Windies

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  3 Feb 2016 12:00 AM GMT

Bridgetown, Feb 2: Twenty20 captain Darren Sammy has spoken of his disappointment at not being offered a retainer contract by the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB).

The former Test captain was one chopped from the 15-man list announced recently by the WICB for the period running from October 1 last year to September 30, 2016, reports CMC.

“It’s the first time in the last seven or eight years that I’ve not been given a retainer by the WICB. It’s quite disappointing, but cricket has not been about Darren Sammy, it’s for the West Indian people,” Sammy said on Monday.

“I am disappointed that I never received a contract from the WICB, but it’s not my decision. I’ve played the two limited-overs formats for West Indies on a regular basis and performed the role I was asked. It’s very disappointing, particularly as I am the Twenty20 captain, but life goes on.” Sammy has been a key figure in the West Indies cricket over the last five years and played a significant role in leading the Caribbean side to the capture of the Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka four years ago.

He also captained the side in 30 of his 38 Tests before retiring two years ago after being sacked in favour of Denesh Ramdin. Sammy has continued to play the shorter formats, however, and was part of the one-day squad for the Cricket World Cup in Australia and New Zealand last February. The 32-year-old, who now campaigns extensively in the various domestic T20 leagues across the globe, said he remained committed to representing the West Indies in the shorter formats. IANS

Next Story