Georgetown, April 8: Former captain Ramresh Sarwan has blamed the regiol board for the decline of the West Indies cricket and believes CARICOM’s intervention represents the best chance at ensuring the sport’s revival.
The 35-year-old Guyanese, who led the West Indies in four Tests and five One-Dayers, said the region possessed plenty of talent but administrators had failed to mage the game properly, and this has led to the team’s slump intertiolly, reports CMC.
“WICB needs to take responsibility for the fall for WI cricket,” he said on Thursday.
“I don’t think it’s a situation that we are lacking of talent. It’s just that we don’t have the right people maging our cricket, and how long we don’t get that, I don’t think that we will be able to rise again.”
“We cannot have so many talented players in the Caribbean and not be in the top four teams in the world (in Tests and ODIs),” he added.
Sarwan is the latest player to wade into the debate over the West Indies Cricket Board’s (WICB) magement of the game, following Twenty20 captain Darren Sammy criticism of the regiol governing body, after his side’s capture of the T20 World Cup in India last Sunday.
Since then, former one-day captain Dwayne Bravo, leading opener Chris Gayle and legendary former captain Viv Richards, has come out in support of Sammy. Sarwan, who played 87 Tests and 181 ODIs, said the board had in the past not been accountable enough.
“I think (Darren) Sammy was spot on in his interview. Over the years, the West Indies board, especially the directors and administrators, whatever you want to call them, tended to do a lot of stuff and get away with it,” he said.
“And during the period that I’ve played, we’ve struck a lot trying to highlight those areas that they have erred, and nothing seems to be changing.” IANS