Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Sere confident of defending French Open title

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  22 May 2016 12:00 AM GMT

Paris, May 21: World No.1 Sere Williams came into the French Open main draw with only one title in nine months but the American has said she’s confident of defending her title at Roland Garros.

Sere crushed out of the US Open semi-fils last year against Roberta Vinci, which ended the 34-year-old’s hops of sweeping all four Majors of the calendar. She had not win a title since then until last weekend when she beat compatriot Madison Keys to lift the trophy in Rome, reports Xinhua.

Despite the low profile, the 21-time Grand Slam winner, who has played only four tourment in 2016, entered three fils, including that of the Australian Open where she lost to Germany’s Angelique Kerber, the third seed here for this year’s French Open.

“For me, if I’m not winning, I’m not happy about my year,” said Williams on Friday. “Four tourments, three fils isn’t bad for, I think, everyone else. Then again, I’m not everyone else. “I guess when you win all the time, if you go to a couple of tourments and don’t win them, it’s like you’re in a drought.”

Sere pulled out of Madrid through illness but did not drop a set in Rome, the only clay tourney she attended before coming to Roland Garros.

“It felt good to win in Rome, obviously. I was feeling pretty confident going into some of those matches. Especially the last few I felt a lot better. Even if I’d have lost, I feel like some of those matches really gave me the match play that I needed,” she added.

The 2016 French Open gets underway on Sunday. The women’ s singles fil is set for June 4, one day ahead of the men’s fil. IANS

Next Story