WTA world rankings
Paris, Aug 23: Sere Williams held onto the number one spot in the WTA world rankings on Monday, after Angelique Kerber slipped to defeat against Karoli Pliskova in the fil of the Cincinti hardcourt tourment.
Germany’s Kerber would have ended 22-time major champion Williams’ run of 184 consecutive weeks as world number one if she had claimed the title.
But the reigning Australian Open champion was beaten 6-3, 6-1 by Czech Pliskova, who moves up from 17th to 11th.
American Williams, who withdrew from her Cincinti title defence with an injury, is now just three weeks away from breaking Steffi Graf‘s record for the longest stint at the top of the rankings.
The only change in the top 10 sees Agnieszka Radwanska retake fourth spot from Simo Halep, who was beaten by Kerber in the semi-fils.
WTA top 10
1. Sere Williams (USA) 7,050 pts
2. Angelique Kerber (GER) 6,860
3. Garbine Muguruza (ESP) 5,830
4. Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) 5,340 (+1)
5. Simo Halep (ROM) 5,151 (-1)
6. Venus Williams (USA) 4,005
7. Victoria Azarenka (BLR) 3,551
8. Roberta Vinci (ITA) 3,465
9. Madison Keys (USA) 3,341
10. Svetla Kuznetsova (RUS) 3,190. IANS