Melbourne, Jan 30: United States legend Sere Williams replaced German Angelique Kerber at the top of the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) singles rankings released on Monday, with 7,780 points.
Sere won on Saturday her seventh Australian Open singles title after defeating her sister Venus 6-4, 6-4 in the fil here, reports Efe.
Kerber, who fell to second place with 7,115 points, took the top spot in September from Williams, who ruled the rankings for 186 consecutive weeks.
The current WTA rankings and points are:
1. Sere Williams (US) 7,780 points
2. Angelique Kerber (Germany) 7,115
3. Karoli Pliskova (Czech) 5,270
4. Simo Halep (Romania) 5,073
5. Dominika Cibulkova (Slovakia) 4,985
6. Agnieszka Radwanska (Poland) 4,915
7. Garbiñe Muguruza (Spain) 4,720
8. Svetla Kuznetsova (Russia) 3,915
9. Madison Keys (US) 3,897
10. Johan Konta (Britain) 3,705. IANS