Three die due to electrocution in Kokrajhar

Representative Image

KOKRAJHAR: In a tragic incident, three persons lost their lives due to electrocution in two separate places of Kokrajhar district on Tuesday evening. The incident has cast a pall of gloom among the villagers. Two electricians on duty died due to electrocution at No-14 Bishmuri village under Bishmuri police outpost in Kokrajhar district on Tuesday evening. The two electricians had been working under sub-contractor Samar Basumatary since the last five years. They were busy in new power connection works in Bishmuri area. They were connecting the new phase in the village on Tuesday when electric power came all of a sudden and both died on the spot. The two deceased were identified as Swmkwr Basumatary (25) and Raju Basumatary (20). Both hailed from Samokaguri village in Kokrajhar district.

Talking to reporters, Niren Narzary, father-in-law of Swmkwr Basumatary said that due to the negligence of the electricity department and contractor, the two youths lost their lives. He demanded that the contractor and electricity department should take responsibility for the accident.

An FIR was lodged against the ASEB, Kokrajhar. The SDO (E), Kokrajhar Krishna Bordoloi also informed that counter case had been lodged at Kokrajhar PS against the contractor who had been allotted the new electrification works. He also said the department could not take the responsibility as the two electricians had not taken permission for shutdown before connecting the new power line.

On the other hand, one Anjana Bibi (22), wife of Billal Ali Sheik of Jaoliapara, Duramari died due to electrocution on Tuesday evening. The village was electrified recently and home connections are still going on in the village. Nujrul Islam of Barpeta and Mahibul Ali of Bilasipara have been given the electrification works in the village. A case was lodged against the contractors at the Police Station by the family members on Wednesday.

Also Read: Assam News