SHILLONG, Feb 13: A month has passed after half a dozen residents of Jowai constituency petitioned before the High court for the alleged deprivation of the allotted money allotted through Special Rural Works Programme (SRWP), but the local elected representative and Deputy Chief Minister of the state Roytre Christopher Laloo told The Sentinel on Monday that he has not received any legal notice so far.
The Deputy Chief Minister and MLA from Jowai constituency even stated, “I have always told the electorates, give me a chance and see how I work. If I don’t work throw me out”.
A writ petition was filed on December 16, on ground that the allotter failed to release the fund under the fincial benefits to the five who figured in the mes of the 300 beneficiaries whose mes have been approved by the state government.
Amidst the slur that has reached the public domain, Laloo prefer to keep a stoic silence, but with a preparedness to counter all allegations before the court of law. “I have not received any court notice so far and such things arises, my lawyer will do the needful before the court”, stated Laloo. Asked on the ostensible smear on his position as an MLA and Deputy Chief Minister, The Deputy Chief Minister seems unruffled. “I ll have to exercise my mind on this on whether paybacks should go in a legal way”, he stated, even as he added “My constituents knows about my services as a five time legislator”. He further quipped, “If I have done wrong, will the electorates elect me for five times or 25 years as a legislator?.
Interestingly, a lesser known social organization known as the Meghalaya People’s United Front (MPUF) which has filed RTI on this regard last year before the alleged deprived beneficiary move the Meghalaya High court. The petitioners allege that they have not received the Rs 10,000 allotted to them even after a span of four years.