Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Tinkhong MLA comes to the aid of aggrieved family

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  10 Nov 2017 12:00 AM GMT

From our Staff Correspondent

Dibrugarh, Nov 9: The philanthropic side of Bimal Bora, MLA of Tinkhong, has helped a grieving family gain possession of their deceased son’s body.

Pranjal Bhoi, who was a student of Class VI, met with a terrible accident on October 27, when a Hyundai car bearing registration number AS -06Q5838 hit him from behind while he was walking with his friends on the Moran-harkatiya road. Bhoi, whose head got ruptured following the mishap, was rushed to the hospital of Diroi Tea Estate, but as recommended by the doctor there, was brought to Assam Medical College and Hosiptal (AMCH), Dibrugarh.

Unfortutely, as the ICU at AMCH was occupied at that time, the accident victim was admitted in a local nursing home in Dibrugarh by his family. The patient had to undergo a surgery on the same day following which he was put on ventilator. Ten days after being kept in the ICU, Bhoi was declared dead by the hospital authorities on November 5. The family of the deceased, due to fincial constraints, could not clear the hospital bills that amounted to more than Rs 3 lakh, and as such, failed to take possession of the body from the hospital. It was only after the leaders of AATSA, Lajar nda, Prav Ekka, Anil Tati, Dhrubajyoti Urang and that of AASHA, Rafel Kujur and Madan Baghuwar, along with the former Forest Minister Etuwa Munda met the owner of the hospital and discussed the issue, the authorities of the nursing home agreed to hand over the body upon payment of the dues of the pharmacy.

While these developments were adding to the grief of the already distraught family, MLA Bimal Bora paid a persol visit to the house of the deceased and offered Rs 50,000 in cash as well as a blank cheque signed by him to the family. This help was extended out of the MLA’s persol income and not from the exchequer. The MLA was accompanied by the representatives of AATSA and ASHA during his visit. Due to this act of generosity, the family was able to release the deceased’s body from the hospital and accordingly perform the last rites. Apart from the help extended by the MLA, the family has also been offered some fincial aid by the owner of the car involved in the accident after the car was seized by the police.

Next Story