Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Truck mows down girl, protesters go on rampage

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  5 Jun 2017 12:00 AM GMT

FROM OUR Correspondent

Silchar, June 4: The death of an 8 year old girl Esther Lalramfel in a truck accident at Chamertol, Hmarkhwalien, Juganj Hills under Lakhipur police station on Friday at 2.30pm has led to a chaotic situation since police has failed to stop the speeding truck as well as its driver. The accident took place at a police check post when the truck ran over the girl and fled away. Two constables followed the truck on their motorcycles but failed to arrest the driver. The girl was a brilliant student studying in KG II at 438 Hmar LP School.

The failure on the part of the police to stop the truck and b the driver enraged the local residents, who not only blocked the road causing a large number of vehicles to halt, but also refused the authorities to take away the body for post mortem. The enraged people demanded for an immediate arrest of the truck and suspension of the two constables. To put things under control, DSP A J Das, officer in-charge of Lakhipur PS S Hanse, in-charge, SDO (Civil) Lakhipur ADC J R Lalsim, circle officer Pradip Kumar Gupta, magistrate Yahadul Islam ACS along with police and 147 bn CRFP personnel rushed to the spot.

Additiol Superintendent of Police Mandeep Kaur also rushed to the spot and tried to convince the agitated people to call off the blockade. However, Phulertol-Jirighat Imphal road remained blocked. Things took a bad turn when the people set the police vehicle on fire and started assaulting the police and some media-persons. They attacked S Hanse and his driver Akbar Khan. Hanse is now undergoing treatment at Silchar Medical College and Hospital. A total number of 13 police personnel were wounded. They stched away a digital camera and identity card from jourlist Gurni Singh and deleted the photographs of the dead body taken by him. However, they returned his camera and ID card after half an hour or so.

ASP Mandeep Kaur kept announcing on a microphone that immediate action will be taken and also requested people to keep their cool. But they refused to listen and thus he had to fire four rounds of blank shots to disperse the mob. Police and CRPF all took their positions. They also resorted to lathi-charge and spraying of tear gas. A total number of 17 rounds of blank shots were fired. Even, rubber bullets were also fired. Both J R lalsim and Mandeep Kaur talked with the people intimately. At 7 in the evening, Rakesh Roushan, Superintendent of Police, Cachar arrived at the spot to bring situation under control.

The agitators however did not stop and damaged the connecting Belly Bridge near Hmarkhwalien. This has brought all sorts of transportation at a standstill. However, the joint efforts of Rakesh Roushan, S Hanse, J R Lalsim and Pradip Kaumr Gupta along with the police and CRPF personnel brought fruitful results. The situation was brought under control and 21 agitators were arrested immediately. Lalumpui Tulor, block elementary education officer along with the headmistress of the school of the victim rushed to the spot and later paid tributes to her.

Yahadul Islam’s vehicle was also damaged to some extent. Total 8 vehicles have been damaged. Though the situation is critical, yet it is under control. At present, there are police personnel from Jirighat, Banskandie and Joypur and CRPF and 6AP bn at that the area. MLA Rajdeep Goala has expressed his dissatisfaction at the incidents that have turned out. He is saddened at the state of lawlessness and utter disorder.

Next Story