Washington, Sept 8: The campaign of US Republican presidential candidate Dold Trump announced on Wednesday that it will provide press credentials for a number of media outlets that to date had been banned from his campaign rallies, allegedly because their coverage was unfair to him. From this point forward, accreditation will be authorised for the previously banned media outlets, a spokesman for the Trump campaign said. The so-called “black list” included The Washington Post, The Huffington Post and Politico; television network and news Website Univision and the publications BuzzFeed and The Daily Beast, which for months were not allowed to cover Trump’s campaign events from the area specially reserved for the press, among other restrictions.
“I figure they can’t treat me any worse,” the magte told CNN in a statement in which he said the ban was being rescinded. The first media outlet to be punished by the mogul’s campaign was The Huffington Post, which had relegated its coverage of Trump to its “entertainment” section, followed by the Iowa daily Des Moines Register, which had urged the businessman to withdraw from the Republican presidential race before that state’s caucuses in February.
Trump’s practice of banning certain media drew much criticism when he zeroed in on The Washington Post, one of the country’s most prestigious dailies, and several weeks ago he threatened to do the same to The New York Times, although he has never carried out that threat, EFE news reported. (IANS)