FROM OUR CORRESPONDENT
SIVASAGAR, Nov 14: Another tragic incident came to light where two wild elephants were electrocuted in Sivasagar’s Haluwating area. The jumbos were out in search of food when they reportedly got electrocuted, a forest department staff said. According to him, two wild elephants were electrocuted at Tiphuk Tea Garden in Haluwating on Monday night. The tuskers died on the spot when they come in contact with the high voltage electric wire.
Local villagers found the bodies of the pachyderms at the tea garden and informed the officials of forest department located at Amguri, the staff of the forest department said. As per reports, a herd of elephants from Nogapara often come to Haluwating, Tifuk and Borsila areas in search of food, where a lot of houses are also vandalized by the wild jumbos.