Doomdooma, July 31: The Doomdooma Town Field that carries with it the British legacy and is the only playground in the heart of the town, has been badly damaged due to waterlogging over the years. This waterlogging problem is due to unplanned and haphazard construction around the playground. This playground has the reputation of being a scientifically constructed playground by the British and was known as ‘European Club Field’ before it was handed over to Doomdooma Town Committee by the then Superintendent of Doomdooma Tea Company, Cashbourn on June 26, 1951. Along with the spacious playground having an area of about 10 acres, it had a ‘Planters Club’ for recreational activities and playing various games like football, cricket, tennis and rugby, besides indoor games. The field was handed over to the local body by the British solely for the purpose of playing games and sports and for welfare activities of the youth. But due to unimaginative approach and callous attitude of the town civic body, the original area of the field has shrunk to a large extent and the present area of the field is now insufficient to construct a modern stadium to hold various games and sports activities for the future generation. Now an auditorium has been sought to be constructed in the north-west corner of the field under untied fund of the Tinsukia district administration approved by the Chief Minister and the requisite NOC for the purpose has already been issued by the Doomdooma Town Committee (DDTC) without bothering little about the future of youth welfare activities.