ITANAGAR: A freak fire incident at Hill Top colony in Ziro, the headquarters of the Lower Subansiri district, reduced a building to ashes and caused heavy losses to the owner.
The fire broke out around 7 pm Sunday evening and engulfed the lone SPT building located atop a hillock within no time. Fortunately, the house was located at a secluded place which saved the inferno from spreading to other houses at the thickly housed Hill Top colony housing nearly 200 dwelling houses, including the famed Gayatri Mandir. The house was owned by Tamo Tama with a tenant Khoda Chada staying with him.
The cause of the fire is suspected to be burning firewood at the local kitchen which unfortunately created havoc instead of providing relief during the cold winter. Neighbours and many other people arrived at the scene of mishap to help but could not lend their hands due to the huge ball of fire resulting from the semi-wooden house coupled with bursting of LPG cylinders which dissuaded the enthusiastic fire fighters from trying to douse the raging fire. However, a fire tender arrived timely at the scene which helped in dousing the fire.
Meanwhile, the district administration distributed essential relief materials to the victims.
Also Read: Two arrested for theft in Lower Subansiri district