Adult elephant electrocuted in Assam's Kamrup district, two held
According to the forest officials, the elephant had come down from the hilly forest areas in search of food and electrocuted.
GUWAHATI: In a heartbreaking incident one adult elephant died after the jumbo electrocuted on the wee hours of Friday.
The incident took place the wee hours of Friday in the Mirza area of Kamrup district where the elephant came into contact with a live electric fence installed around a paddy field.
According to police. Locals from the area has seen that an elephant lying in a paddy field of Friday morning.
Later they informed local police and forest officials.
Soon after the incident was reported, police and forest officials rushed to the spot and recovered electrical wires which were installed around the paddy field. Moreover, police have detained two people in connection with the incident.
Speaking with reporters DFO of Kamrup (East) Rohini Ballav Saikia informed that the forest department had detected the elephant and had detained two people in connection with the incident.
"We detected that the adult elephant was electrocuted in the paddy field. We have seized the electrical wires and other items. We will take action as per law," the DFO said.
According to the forest officials, the elephant had come down from the hilly forest areas in search of food.
Earlier in 21 August In a tragic incident, two adult female elephants died after coming in contact with a high-voltage electric fence in Assam's Baksa district near the Bhutan border. A forest official said on Saturday that the incident took place at Koroibari near the Batabari forest range. The jumbos came down from a hilly area in search of food and got electrocuted after they came in contact with an electric fence illegally installed around a paddy field, the official said.
A man, identified as Reshan Daimary, who had allegedly installed the electric fence around the paddy field to protect his crops, surrendered at the Singra police station. A probe in connection with the incident is underway and the man will be booked under the Wildlife Protection Act, the official said. As per data, it was the third incident of electrocution of elephants in Assam this year. A total of 90 elephants have been electrocuted in the state from 2011 to 2019. Poisoning and natural calamities have also claimed the lives of a large number of elephants.