Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Assam: After Eating Poisonous Mushrooms, 8 Members of a Family Suffer Medical Problems

According to reliable reports, all eight of them were admitted to Rajapukhuri Hospital for medical attention.

Assam: After Eating Poisonous Mushrooms, 8 Members of a Family Suffer Medical Problems

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  25 May 2023 2:17 PM GMT

SIVASAGAR: A family of eight reportedly became ill after eating poisonous mushrooms in the Sivasagar area of Assam. On Thursday, the Sapekhati village in the Sonari subdivision reported the occurrence.

According to accounts, all eight of them received medical treatment at Rajapukhuri Hospital.

The individuals that are affected include Dhaniram Karmakar, Shankar Karmakar, Mamata Karmakar, Hemant Karmakar, Mongli Karmakar, Ganesh Karmakar, Akhil Karmakar, and Parishmita Karmakar.

Consuming poisonous mushrooms can cause serious health issues and, in some circumstances, even death. Even though mushroom poisoning is uncommon, it is important to use cautious when eating any kind of mushrooms, especially those that are found in the wild.

The experience has served as a reminder of the value of appropriate information and awareness of the risks associated with consuming wild mushrooms. The public needs to be made aware of the significance of distinguishing between safe and lethal mushrooms, especially those who live in rural areas.

Two unfortunate deaths caused by poisonous mushrooms occurred last month in Merapani, an Assamese town in the Golaghat district.

Thirteen individuals from five households comsumed the mushrooms, which caused serious health issues for those concerned, which led to the incident. The thirteen people consumed the mushrooms, one of whom, a woman, later died.

One of the victims, Prafulla Barman, reportedly died while receiving medical attention, according to local sources. Sadly, a second victim also perished, bringing the total to two. The 10 surviving people who ate the mushrooms were undergoing medical care in Golaghat and Jorhat hospitals.

On Sunday in Assam's Golaghat district, at least three people—including a two-year-old child—died after eating "poisonous" mushrooms.

According to a senior police officer, the event happened in the district's Merapani area on April 2, when people from five different families devoured the mushroom.

"Three of the same family died after eating mushrooms. Hemanta Barman died last night after his mother Tarali Barman and father Prafulla Barman predeceased him on Thursday and Friday, respectively," he said. All of them died at JMCH, the officer added.

Merapani Community Health Centre Deputy Superintendent Dr Chandra Shyam said, "A total of 13 people from five families complained of health complications after consuming the poisonous mushroom. "The condition of those who fell ill is stable, Shyam said.

ALSO READ: Bjp Leader Arrested for Defrauding People Under the Pretense of Giving Jobs


Next Story
Jobs in Assam
Jobs in Rest of NE
Top Headlines
Assam News