Assam: Massive Fire Breaks Out at Goalpara Hospital in Child Care Unit
A massive fire broke out at a government-run hospital in the Goalpara district of Assam. All the 14 babies who were present at the time of the incident were rescued.
Guwahati: On Friday morning, a massive fire broke out at Goalpara civic hospital. The fire started in the hospital's Paediatric ICU unit, where numerous newborns were being cared for.
As per reports, when the fire broke out, 14 infants and many staff members and attendants of the patients were present in the ICU unit.
Firefighters arrived quickly and extinguished the blaze before it could spread further. The fire is thought to have started as a result of an electrical short circuit. In the interim, all of the infants have been moved to a different ward.
Meanwhile, Meenakshi Das Nath, the district deputy commissioner for Goalpara, arrived at the hospital and assessed the situation.
Earlier this month, a fire broke out at an incentive care unit (ICU) of Assam Medical College and Hospital (AMCH)'s Paediatric ward in Dibrugarh in which 12 children were admitted.
A total of 12 children were in the ward, aged between six months and 10 years. No one was injured, the official said.
AMCH Superintendent Prasanta Dihingia speaking to the media said, "We have also requested the Assam government to do an investigation independently. These will bring out the truth."
A ventilator monitor in the paediatric ward caught fire, which was quickly controlled by the staff using a fire extinguisher kept in the room, officially stated. According to the sources, following the incident, the hospital moved all of the patients to another paediatric ward on campus as a precaution.
The affected ward has six ventilators, two of which came from the PM-CARES fund. A fire had started in one of the PM-CARES ventilators, sources said.