GUWAHATI: A moving ambulance caught fire in the Kawoimari region of Assam's Nagaon District on Tuesday.
As per reports, no casualties were reported in the incident.
Fortunately, the female patient, her attendants, the driver and paramedic of the ambulance escaped unhurt, as they managed to come out of the burning vehicle on time.
Reportedly, the incident took place due to a technical failure of the vehicle.
According to an attendant of the patient, the ambulance, bearing registration number AS01-JC-7220, caught fire near the Kawoimari petrol pump when the paramedic got down to make some adjustments in the oxygen cylinder. As he was working on it, the vehicle suddenly caught fire and was completely gutted in no time.
Meanwhile, fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the fire.
"By the time we arrived, the ambulance was completely gutted in the fire. However, there was no loss of life or any injury due to the incident," said a police officer.
Earlier, in 2021 an ambulance caught fire due to a technical snag in the Kahilipara area of Guwahati while a patient was being taken to the hospital.
However, the patient, his associate and the driver of the ambulance managed to come out of the vehicle unharmed and were taken to the hospital.
A police officer said that the running ambulance caught fire due to some technical fault. The vehicle was completely burnt before the fire tenders reached the crowded locality in the city, creating panic among the shopkeepers and passersby.