Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Four arrested in tea garden mob-lynching incident in Mariani

A man was allegedly lynched by a mob following an accident in a tea garden in Mariani area along the


Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  1 Jun 2020 4:32 AM GMT


JORHAT: A man was allegedly lynched by a mob following an accident in a tea garden in Mariani area along the Assam-Nagaland border in Jorhat district. Police arrested four persons in connection with the incident. Jorhat Deputy Commissioner ordered a magisterial inquiry into the incident on Sunday.

"Four arrests have been made in the case so far. A magisterial inquiry to be conducted by ADC Biswajit Phukan has been ordered," said Deputy Commissioner of Jorhat, Roshni Aparanji Korati.

The deceased was identified as Debashish Gogoi (24) of Milgaon Puthinadi in Mariani. Another person, Aditya Das (23) of Deberapar Chariali sustained grievous injuries and he is undegoing treatment at Jorhat Medical College and Hospital (JMCH).

The incident took place at Gabharu Tea Estate near Mariani in Jorhat district on Friday evening when Debashish and his friend Aditya went to Gabharu Parbat, a tourist site in Mariani, for sightseeing. They met with a road accident in the tea garden and their Scooty hit two female tea workers.

Minutes after the accident, a large number of tea garden workers gathered on the spot and started assaulting both Debashish and Aditya. Debasish's father and elder sister reached the spot but the mob confined them in a car and continued to beat Debasish and Aditya in front of them. Later, they were admitted at JMCH in a critical condition but Debasish succumbed to his injuries on Saturday evening.

"The mob comprised more than 50 persons. They beat my son and his friend in our presence. My daughter tried to rescue Debasish but some people confined us in our car. I believe it is a planned murder," alleged Debasish's father. Aditya, who survived the mob attack, said, "Our Scooty slipped near the tea garden factory and hit two women without causing them any injury. But a huge crowd beat us mercilessly with sticks and other dangerous weapons." A police officer said, "Doctors conducted autopsy and the body was returned to the family for last rites."

Next Story