Assam Budget Allocates Rs 177 Crore For Sports
GUWAHATI: State Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma has allocated a total amount of Rs 177 crore for the Sports and Youth Welfare Department for the year 2019-20. Sarma announced the new allocation during his Assam Budget speech here today.
In his speech, Himanta Biswa Sarma said, “The Government of Assam is committed to realize the vision of the Chief Minister of making Guwahati the ‘Sports Capital’ and develop Assam as a emerging sports hub of the country. Working towards this, the Sports and Youth Welfare Department has formulated and notified an ‘Integrated Sports Policy’ to address all issues for the overall development of sports in the State and to bring about a systemic transformation in the entire sports ecosystem.”
1. The Government shall start a state- of-the-art sports academy in the name of Arjun Bhogeswar Baruah catering to six Olympic sports disciplines in the year 2019.
2. ‘Mukhya Mantrir Mohila Krira Protiyogita’ 2019, to promote games and sports among women and facilitate mass participation and scouting of sporting talents.
3. State School Olympiad at district and State levels to promote school sports in Olympic sporting disciplines and to identify new talent.
4. ASEAN Football Championship among ASEAN countries to project Guwahati as the emerging sports capital and to promote sports tourism in tune with the “Act East Policy”.
5. Construction of permanent District Sports Offices (4 offices in the first phase) and providing of vehicles to the District Sports Officers (33 districts) in order to develop the office infrastructure and mobility of the key field officials of the department.
6. A sports college will be established at Kokrajhar.
7. One-time cash incentive of Rs 50,000 each to a total of 2,000 sports and art personalities.
Also Read: LOCAL SPORTS