Agartala: The Central Government has taken a strong stand over the repatriation of 32,800 Reang refugees sheltered in six camps in North Tripura district and made it clear that the entire process must be completed by September next. The Home Ministry also told the refugee leaders in no uncertain terms that all relief being provided to the camp inmates will be stopped after the expiry of the deadline.
The Home Ministry officials made it clear during a review meeting over the four-corner agreement signed earlier in which apart from the ministry, representatives of the Mizoram and Tripura governments and the leaders of the Mizoram Bru Displaced Peoples’ Forum also were signatories.
It is learnt that the ministry officials expressed displeasure over the non-implementation of the agreement and set the fresh dateline. Last time the ministry had to backtrack over the refugees’ adamant attitude as the Lok Sabha election was approaching but this time, according to sources, they don’t have any such compulsion and is determined to implement the decision. The ministry officials made it clear to the refugee leaders attending the meeting headed by their president A Saibunga, that they are not ready to hear any plea when the refugee leaders tried to raise security concerns. Officials clearly said that security is the responsibility of the ministry and rest can be discussed only after the repatriation.
Meanwhile, the Mizoram government has already initiated the process of repatriation as the Deputy Commissioner of Mamith district has already sent a letter to the District Magistrate of North Tripura informing that a team of Mizoram officials will be visiting Kanchanpur from July 3 to 20 to undertake the second phase of identification of the refugees.