Quick Cherry Crisp (Kurkure Cherry)
- 1/3-1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 cups frozen unsweetened pitted tart red cherries (laal cherry)
- 1 cup crumbled shortbread cookies
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted (Maakhan)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or almonds, toasted (bhune badaam)
- Ice cream (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. In a large saucepan, sprinkle cornstarch mixture over cherries; stir to combine.
- Cook and stir over medium heat about 10 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, thoroughly combine crumbled cookies, butter, and nuts.
- Divide cherry mixture among four dessert dishes. Sprinkle cookie mixture over cherry mixture.
- If desired, serve with ice cream
Karnataka Potato Curry
Preparation Time: 15 - 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 - 20 minutes
Serves 4 - 6
Each serving contains:
Kcals: 200, g fat: 5.3, g saturated fat: 4
- 675g potatoes, cut into 2.5 cm cubes (aloo)
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste (namak)
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tablespoon channa dal or yellow split peas
- 1-3 dried red chillies, broken up (laal sukhi mirch)
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds (Saabut Dhaniya)
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (Methi ke Daane)
- 30g coconut milk powder
- 150ml skimmed or semi-skimmed milk, heated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan, about 30 cm in diameter, and add 450ml of water, turmeric, and salt to taste. Bring the mixture to the boiling point and reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook for 6-7 minutes
- Meanwhile, preheat a small pan over medium heat. Add the channa dal, chillies, coriander seeds and fenugreek seeds. Reduce the heat to low and stir the mixture for 30-60 seconds or until the spices begin to release their aroma. Transfer the mixture to a plate and allow to cool slightly, then grind to a fine powder in a coffee or spice mill
- Stir the coconut milk powder into the hot milk and add the ground ingredients. Stir until well blended, then add to the potatoes. Simmer uncovered, until the potatoes are tender and all the liquid has been absorbed
- Add the lemon juice and stir gently to mix into the potatoes without beaking them up. Serve with any bread or as an accompaniment to grilled or baked fish, poultry, or meat dishes.