Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

12 Assam oil & gas fields to go under hammer

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  26 Jun 2016 12:00 AM GMT

Global bids to be invited to exploit and monetise 67 fields in the country holding Rs 70,000 crore worth of fuel reserves

By Our Staff Reporter

Guwahati, June 25: In the run-up to the bidding of 67 discovered small oil and gas fields, 12 of them in Assam, the Union Petroleum Ministry today held an interactive session with potential investors in Guwahati.

The event was attended by some 200 representatives from oil and gas companies like Jubilant, Hindustan Oil Exploration Company, Great Eastern Energy Corporation Ltd, GeoEnpro Petroleum Ltd, Nippon Power, Eagle Offshore, Jaybee Energy, SKG Global, Cheval Developers, PFH Capital Advisors, Nityam Resources, Siddarth Enterprises etc. .

Such road shows will also be held in the United States, London, Dubai, Oman and Singapore in coming days.

Starting this July 15, the Centre will start the global bidding process for 67 discovered small oil and gas fields across the country which have been lying undeveloped for many years. Twelve such fields have been identified in Assam which too would go under the hammer during the process.

These 12 fields in Assam have been clubbed into eight clusters and global bids would be invited to select players to exploit and monetise them. These fields hold estimated reserve of 21 million metric tonnes (MMT) of oil and oil equivalent gas. The rest of fields are mostly spread across Mumbai offshore and Krish-Godavari basin. These 67 fields, including the 12 from Assam, were discovered some 20-30 years back and are lying undeveloped with either the Oil India Limited (OIL) or Oil and tural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC).

Petroleum minister Dharmendra Pradhan said here today that the bidding process would be investor friendly, which would put on offer 46 contract areas consisting of all the 67 fields. These fields altogether hold in-place oil and oil equivalent gas volumes of 86 MMT, which amounts to around Rs. 70,000 crore worth of reserves. The bidding process will close on October 31.

Pradhan said exploiting these small fields required micro-level magement and specific technologies, making it uttractive for the two public sector oil giants to invest in. Hence, these fields have been lying unexploited over the years. The estimated capital expenditure required to fully exploit these fields would be around Rs. 4,000 crore, according to Pradhan. “By December we will end the whole process and by January 1, 2017 exploration and production at these fields will start,” he added.

The minister said that Assam contributed around 10 per cent of the country’s total crude oil and tural gas production and within the present resources available, 44 per cent has been tapped, leaving an opportunity to establish and develop the remaining 56 per cent resource base in the region.

The bidding policy will have moderate royalty structure, customs duty exemptions and complete marketing and pricing freedom for the sale of produced crude oil and tural gas. Up to 100 per cent foreign direct investment (FDI) participation by foreign companies, joint ventures are allowed in bidding process.

The minister also said that this bidding policy marks a shift from the earlier ‘Production Sharing Contract Model’ to a simpler and easier ‘Revenue Sharing Contract Model’. Here the bidders will be required quote the revenue they will share with the government at low and high end of price and production band.

India’s energy requirement has been increasing at a very rapid rate and it has recently emerged as the third largest consumer of oil in the world. Around 79 per cent of the country’s oil demand and 42 per cent of gas demand are currently met by imports.

Next Story