By Our Staff Reporter
Guwahati, August 24: The death toll in current spate of floods in Assam touched 14 even as the overall flood situation steadied with decrease in rainfall across the State.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, who made an aerial survey of worst-hit western Assam districts yesterday, said the number of affected districts has come down from 19 to 14 today.
With recovery of another body overnight, the death toll has risen to 14.
About 8.46 lakh people are still affected by floods, with 2.05 lakh staying in 296 relief camps set up by the government.
Bilasipara subdivision in Dhubri district in western part of the state has been the worst-affected in this flood, Gogoi said.
He said the State had received 20 per cent more rainfall than normal in the last few days, leading to the floods.
With the decrease in rainfall amount since yesterday, the flood situation has gradually steadied, he added.
Gogoi said the top priority of the State government at the moment was providing relief and there were adequate funds available with the State for the purpose.
"The main problem is in carrying out major repair works after the floods. For that we need Central funds, which the Central government has not been forthcoming in sanctioning or releasing," he said.
The State Disaster Response Fund, provided under the 14th Planning Commission, accounts for the funds needed for immediate relief and restoration.
The CM maintained that the Centre sanctioned mere Rs 387 crore for repairing last year's flood damages and even that money is yet to be released.
He said the State government will seek an interim amount of Rs 500 crore this year for starting repair works.