NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced nationwide three weeks lockdown starting from Tuesday midnight. All States and Union Territories will come under its purview.
Stating that “the next 21 days will be very crucial for India”, the Prime Minister added in a live telecast on Tuesday night, “We are taking all steps to ensure continuous supply of essential commodities. In view of the current situation, the nationwide complete lockdown will be in place for 21 days — three weeks. Today India is at the stage where our actions today will decide that to what extent we can bring down the impact of this disaster. This is the time to strengthen our resolve again and again.
He said this is an essential step to fight coronavirus decisively. He added that saving lives is priority as of now.
“With folded hands, I request you to stay put wherever you are,” said Prime Minister Modi. He added that he is mindful of the economic ramifications of it. However, this is a smaller concern.
PM Modi warned, if we don’t follow a complete lockdown for the coming 21 days, the nation will go back 21 years and many families will be devastated.
He also said many powerful countries in the world have become helpless, regardless of their efforts. He once again reiterated that social distancing is the only way to deal with this deadly coronavirus that has infected more than 500 in India, so far.
“Some people are under the misconception that social distancing is only for those infected with coronavirus… but they should understand that this for everyone because it is important to break the cycle,” said PM Modi in his address to the nation.
“You have to remember that a coronavirus-infected person initially appears to be normal and doesn’t show symptoms. So maintain precautions and stay at home.
“If we are not able to manage the upcoming 21 days (of nationwide complete lockdown), we will be pushed back 21 years.
“The only way to be safe from coronavirus is social distancing.”
Stating that “coronavirus is spreading at a rapid pace,” the Prime Minister said, “Every Indian contributed for making ‘Janata curfew a success.”
This is his second address to the nation regarding coronavirus. In his first address he urged Indians to observe ‘Janata Curfew’. (IANS)