48 JMB cadres held in State till date
By Our Staff Reporter
Guwahati, July 11: DGP Mukesh Sahay today confirmed an intelligence report about intrusion of five suspected persons from Bangladesh, but said reports of intrusion of jihadis into the State is yet to be confirmed or corroborated.
“The reports of 5-10 jihadis entering Assam are unverified and uncorroborated as of now. We are in constant touch with other security agencies and there is no confirmation till now,” he said, addressing a press conference.
Sahay said the State security machinery was “extremely alert” in the wake of the recent attacks in Bangladesh.
The Chief Minister is also constantly reviewing the situation, he said.
Sahay said a report by a security agency about spotting of suspicious movement at the Meghalaya border with Bangladesh had fuelled the reports of jihadis entering Assam.
“We are still in the process of verifying that report,” he said, negating reports in a section of media that the militants have been identified and their sketches and other details shared with the public.
On the presence of other jihadi elements in the State, IGP SB Hiren th said a JMB module was active in the State but it has been busted following the Burdwan blasts of 2014.
He said 48 JMB elements have been arrested in the State so far but two of its top leaders are still at large. As many as 33 of the JMB operatives were caught in Chirang district alone. Three are still behind bars.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Sarbanda Sonowal reviewed the security scerio with top police officials. He asked security agencies to raise the alert along the Bangladesh border and step up vigil across the State. Sonowal also emphasized on creating public awareness.