Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Dispur rejects Bidai's truce offer

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  25 Sep 2015 12:00 AM GMT

By Our Staff Reporter

Guwahati, Sept 24: Sending out a strong message, Dispur has rejected a conditiol truce offer by dreaded NDFB(S) leader G Bidai, accused of masterminding the Adivasi massacres last year. Top police sources have revealed that following mounting pressure from security forces, Bidai had offered to come overground on the condition that all cases against him be withdrawn and that he be allowed to move around freely. "While he has only seven to eight cadres with him at present in the State, Bidai had communicated to the government that if it agrees to his conditions, he may bring along with him around 200 cadres who are currently based at Myanmar," said the sources.

The Assam Police, however, rejected Bidai's offer.

The tough stance from Assam Police is understandable, given the depleting strength of the Bodo rebel group which has suffered huge reverses in the last few months following intense anti-insurgency operations. At least 18 militants have been neutralized and 539 apprehended since the December carge unleashed by the Bodo outfit.

Sources said Bidai, who carries a Rs 5 lakh reward on his head, is scuttling between India and Bhutan. He and Batha - both accused of orchestrating the killing of over 80 Adivasis in December last year - are now the most wanted Bodo militants by Assam Police.

Next Story