Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

galand for ban on FB pages

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  15 March 2015 12:00 AM GMT


GUWAHATI, March 14: Scrambling desperately to come out of the Dimapur lynching scar, the galand government has written to the Centre seeking a ban on certain FaceBook pages which were apparently used by hate-mongers for "misinformation campaign".

Official sources said the police, while investigating the lynching incident, found that the people arrested had communicated with each other through certain facebook pages - ga Blog and ga Spear.

Following the request from galand government, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has sought screenshots of the objectioble pages. galand police is in the process of dispatching these to the ministry.

Nearly 50 people have been arrested so far by Dimapur police in connection with the lynching incident. Most of the arrested are said to be students.

Videos and photographs of the lynching had gone viral in social media, forcing the government to black out Internet and block SMS/MMS services.

Earlier, galand Chief Minister TR Zeliang had blamed abuse of technology as the major cause for the March 5 incident escalating out of control.

A few days back, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) issued an advisory to the governments of Kartaka, Maharashtra and Harya about possible attacks on people from Northeast states living there, as a backlash to the Dimapur lynching incident.

The communication was sent by the Home Ministry after it found that a misinformation campaign about the Dimapur incident was going on in social media.

According to the MHA, some anti-social elements are using social media to fan hatred and instigate the public to attack people of Northeast origin in the three states.

In a report to the Gauhati High Court today, the galand senior superintendent of jails stated that the photo identity of the rape accused was circulated among the agitators through mobile phones. “The agitators who had barged into the jail could not find the accused after a search of about 2-3 hours until his identity was circulated through mobile phones,” the report stated.

Next Story