Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Gogoi asks army, police to intensify operations

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  2 Dec 2015 12:00 AM GMT

mrup shootout

Hindi-speakers not targeted, victims had refused to dote, admits ULFA-I


GUWAHATI/DIBRUGARH, Dec 1: Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today directed the State administration and police to deal firmly with ULFA (Independent) after the outfit on Tuesday morning claimed responsibility for the mrup shootout that took place at Dilirghat at around 7.50 pm on Monday. Two persons, Sanjay Bharati, a JCB driver and Gopal Sahu, were injured in the attack.

Gogoi asked Chief Secretary VK Pipersenia and newly appointed DGP Mukesh Sahay to step up offensives against the ULFA (I) and also NSCN (K). The CM also had a telephonic talk with GoC 3 Corps this morning regarding last night’s incident, and the need to intensify combing operations to b the ultras.

Meanwhile, taking responsibility for the attack, self-styled captain Arunodoy Asom, deputy commander, Eastern command & assistant publicity secretary of ULFA (I) – told The Sentinel, “Our cadres on Monday evening went to Dilijan to collect funds. The collection drive is being carried out by the organization for procuring winter clothing for the cadres, not to buy cars or other luxuries. However, when we asked them for dotion, Sanjay Bharati and Gopal Shah openly refused and said that pro-talk ULFA leader Jiten Dutta has assured them protection, so they will not dote to the ULFA (I). They also provoked the cadres by saying ‘you can do whatever you want’. In order to teach them a lesson, the cadres who had the orders of the commanding authority, shot them in the leg and abdomen, in order to injure them but not to kill.”

The ULFA-I leader also clarified that contrary to what has been reported in the media, Monday’s incident was ‘not an attack on the Hindi-speaking community’.

It may be mentioned that both injured persons are undergoing treatment at Assam Medical College and Hospital in Dibrugarh. According to medical sources, the condition of both are stable. One of the injured is in intensive care unit under specialized medical surveillance.

Next Story