Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

High Court bans old trekkers, city buses in Guwahati

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  27 Nov 2015 12:00 AM GMT

By Our Staff Reporter

Guwahati, Nov 26: The Gauhati High Court today banned 15-year-old school buses, city buses and trekkers which are 10 years old.

A single bench of Justice Suman Shyam ordered such vehicles to be off the roads after March 31 next year.

The owners can operate replacing the vehicles with new ones.

The order came on a writ petition filed last year by the All Guwahati Share Taxi Owners Association and Bus Owners Association.

"After the court order, trekkers will have to go off the roads after March 31 next. The owners can, however, procure and operate different category four-wheeler vehicles," government advocate Debojit Saikia said.

The permission, fitness certificates, insurance etc of trekkers which are seven/ eight/ nine years old will automatically get cancelled once they enter their tenth year of operation, the judgement further said.

Questions have been often raised about the safety of passengers riding old buses and trekkers. Trekker drivers are also accused of openly violating traffic rules, besides other safety norms. Most of the old buses and trekkers are considered to be unfit for public transport.

Next Story