Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Kanhaiya charges Assam man with attempt to strangle him in Jet flight

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  25 April 2016 12:00 AM GMT

Mumbai, April 24: JNUSU president Kanhaiya Kumar alleged on Sunday that a passenger tried to strangle him on board a Mumbai-Pune flight here but the airline refused to act against the attacker.

In a series of tweets, Kanhaiya Kumar said the passenger attacked him inside the aircraft 9W 618 when it was due to depart.

When he brought it to the notice of the Jet Airways staff, they off-loaded him and the alleged assailant who was detained by the security.

Kanhaiya Kumar said he left for Pune by road for his scheduled engagement in the city.

The accused has been identified as Mas Jyoti Deka, an engineer with the TCS at Pune. He hails from Guwahati.

The airline said: "Some guests on board this morning's flight Jet Airways fight 9W 618 Mumbai-to-Pune have been off-loaded at Mumbai airport in the interest of operatiol safety."

Said the leader of the Jawaharlal Nehru University Students Union: "Yet again, this time inside the aircraft, a man tries to strangulate me."

He alleged that the airline staff refused to take any action against the attacker.

"After the incident, Jet Airways staff completely refuses to take any action against the man who assaulted me.

"Basically Jet Airways sees no difference between someone who assaults and the person who is assaulted. They will deplane you, if you complain," he said.

Meanwhile, Maharashtra Minister of State for Home Ram Shinde asserted that there was no attack on Kanhaiya.

"The police report says that fighting between two passengers over seats led to scuffle. Kanhaiya's allegations (are) baseless," Shinde said.

In view of the development, Pune Police have further tightened security for Kanhaiya Kumar for his events in the city.

The student leader was arrested on sedition charges on February 12 after allegedly raising anti-India slogans at the JNU campus. He was given bail after police failed to produce any evidence to back the charge.

Next Story