BY Our Staff Reporter
Guwahati, Dec 7: Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today said that 39,935 State government officers have been engaged in the exercise to update the tiol Register of Citizens (NRC) 1951 to ensure that the work is completed on time.
Gogoi said that the State government has been leaving no stone unturned to complete the entire process within the stipulated timeframe and has engaged a strong workforce of its own.
"The process of NRC update carried out by the State government under the direct supervision of the Central government has been going on full steam and the fil publication of the updated NRC will be out within December, 2015," Gogoi said.
He reiterated that the State government has initiated a slew of measures aimed at ensuring a correct NRC free from mes of foreigners. "The NRC process was initiated by the State government to protect the State's interest way back in June 2010, beginning with a pilot project at Barpeta. No one demanded it nor did anyone raise it. I took up the initiative so that the vexed foreigners' issue is resolved once and for all. However, I would like to thank former Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh, AASU and other organisations for lending support to the whole exercise," he added.
The Chief Minister said in the ongoing exercise the Central government has not engaged any employee. "The Central government has not engaged any employee in the NRC update process though it has a huge workforce in the Railways, banks, post offices and other public sector undertakings," Gogoi said, adding that the Central government has not deputed any representative to take stock of the progress so far.