Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

So who's lying? Delhi or Dispur?

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  1 Feb 2016 12:00 AM GMT

SAF GAMES funds

By Our Staff Reporter

Guwahati, Jan 31: There were two contradictory statements today from Union Sports minister Sarbanda Sonowal and Assam Sports minister Ajit Singh regarding South Asian Games funds released to the State by the Centre. And one was them was definitely lying.

In a signed press release, Ajit Singh claimed that the State government has so far received only Rs 94.6 crore. He rubbished reports that appeared in a section of the media that the Assam government has received Rs 133 crore from the Centre for conducting the South Asian Games.

Elaborating further, Singh said the State has received Rs 59.34 crore for security related expenditure, Rs 27.93 crore to improve infrastructure, Rs 4 crore for Guwahati Municipal Corporation, Rs 2 crore for Assam Power Distribution Company Limited and Rs 1.33 crore for Public Health Engineering department.

"The PWD (Roads) has not received a single penny, but the department has been working on the repairs and beautification work for the Games," Singh added.

In a virtual rebuttal to Singh's statement, Sarbanda Sonowal said the Central government is releasing funds as per a report submitted by the State government on the estimated expenditure for the event.

"So far, we have released Rs 211 crore," Sonowal claimed.

"We should not indulge in politics over the issue. The event is a matter of prestige for the Northeast. We should ensure that the event is a success," he added.

Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has been complaining that the Central government has not released adequate funds for holding the event. Gogoi has been targeting Sonowal for "failing to get the Centre release the required funds for the Games."

Next Story