BY OUR STAFF REPORTER
GUWAHATI, Oct 15: A day after Gauhati High Court’s intervention taking suo moto cognizance of alleged anomalies in the tender process of bicycles meant for girl students, Education minister Sarat Borkotoky on Thursday admitted that anomalies had taken place. He then informed that the previous tender had been already cancelled and re-tender has been called on October 6.
Admitting that there were some loopholes, he said that the tender process was called off soon after the department learnt about it.
“Even before the HC intervened, we ordered cancellation of the previous tendering and ordered re-tender for the same on a letter dated October 6, 2015,” Borkotoky said.
When asked if he will order any inquiry to get to the bottom of the anomalies, the minister surprisingly refused to probe the matter.
He further said, “The suo moto in the High Court was initiated by a controversial advocate. Initially one A Khaitan, an alleged resident of Christianbasti area of Guwahati, wrote a letter alleging anomalies to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO). The PMO forwarded the letter to the State government. Upon investigation we found that there is no one by this me in Christianbasti area.”
“We investigated and found that some anomalies took place. After discussing the matter with the Chief Minister, we cancelled the previous tendering and ordered re-tender. The fresh e-tendering begins today,” the minister said.
It may be mentioned here that, the minister’s admission that there were loopholes in the tender process, itself indicates a huge scam.