Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

FM Nirmala Sitharaman lays foundation of Rs 2,200-crore hydel project in Dima Hasao district

Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman performed the 'Bhoomi Pujan' for 120-MW Rs 2,200-crore Lower Kopili Hydro Electric Project aided by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) in Dima Hasao district today.

Nirmala Sitharaman

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  8 Oct 2021 1:33 AM GMT

HALFLONG: Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman performed the 'Bhoomi Pujan' for 120-MW Rs 2,200-crore Lower Kopili Hydro Electric Project aided by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) in Dima Hasao district today.

Laying the foundation stone for the hydroelectric power plant, she said that the Centre and the Assam government were committed to developing Dima Hasao.

She said that the Centre would bear 77 per cent cost of the project, and the State Government would bear the remaining 23 per cent.

The Finance Minister said that power generation is like blood donation for the economy.

She also laid the foundation stone of the ADB-aided double-lane highway in the Dima Hasao district in Haflong at Rs 250 crore.

Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma, who also attended the 'Bhoomi Pujan', said that the project would increase electricity supply from clean energy by 469 GWh by 2025 and reduce greenhouse gas emission by 360K tonnes annually.

He said that his government would work for the overall development of the Dima Hasao district.

Sarma said that peace has returned to this district, leading to rapid development, and also stepped up welfare activities for the benefit of the people.

The project will ensure the development of Dima Hasao and Karbi Anglong districts as well as generate employment opportunities, the Chief Minister said.

"Rs 250 crore would be spent for construction of Umrongso-Lanka road within nine months. Improved road infrastructure would greatly facilitate tourist footfall in the region and boost the economic growth," he added. (IANS)

Also Read: Public sector banks are stable now after PCA, says Nirmala Sitharaman

Also Watch:



Next Story